I always have a jar or two of Ragú sauce on hand for a quick and easy weeknight meal. My kids love spaghetti and it only takes about 20 minutes to get on the table. Just perfect for hectic nights when the kids are all running different directions with their activities.
I recently was asked to put my own spin on the traditional meat sauce recipe. Since I have been eating paleo lately, my twist is to serve it over spaghetti squash instead of pasta. I also added additional veggies to up the nutrition. By the way, did you know that each jar of Ragú® Old World Style® Traditional Sauce is made with 11 juicy tomatoes? Yum! So this recipe is a great way to encourage your kids to eat more veggies. I mean what kid doesn’t love spaghetti?
Mama’s Easy Awesome Meat Sauce – Paleo Style!
- 1 large spaghetti squash, seeded and cooked
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 jar (1 lb. 8 oz.) Ragú® Old World Style® Traditional Sauce
Start by cutting your spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Remove all the seeds. I prefer to roast my spaghetti squash, but you can cook it in a variety of ways:
- Bake for about 40 minutes at 375 degrees. (Place cut side down in a pan sprayed with nonstick spray.)
- Microwave 6 to 8 minutes
- Boil 20 minutes or so.
After cooking and cooling slightly, scoop out the squash and separate the strands with a fork.
Directions to make the meat sauce:
- Brown ground beef with onion and bell pepper in large skillet; drain. (Feel free to get creative and add additional veggies. We also like adding mushrooms and chopped garlic!)
- Stir in the Ragú and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer covered, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Serve over hot spaghetti squash.
Time Saving Tip! Use frozen bell peppers and onions to make this go together even quicker.
So there you have it – quick, easy, and delicious! If you aren’t following a paleo diet, feel free to serve the meat sauce over regular spaghetti. Although your kids just might surprise you and love the spaghetti squash! Mine enjoyed it so much that we are going to be growing it in the garden this year.
For even more easy recipe ideas, be sure to visit Ragú on Facebook. And if you are feeling lucky, be sure to enter the Ragú Sweepstakes for a chance to win great Authentic Italian themed prizes, including a grand prize trip to Italy for a family of four at www.RaguSweeps.com!
So tell me… What is your go-to meal for hectic weeknights when you don’t have a lot of time to cook?
Disclosure: I received complimentary product coupons to facilitate this post. No other compensation was received. All opinions stated are my own.