I love camping but one aspect I don’t love is the pesky mosquitoes. My poor middle daughter seems to get eaten alive no matter how much bug spray we put on her. So when I was contacted about trying the Thermacell Mosquito Repellent Lantern, I was happy to accept to see how well it worked on our recent camping trip to Kelley’s Island.
When we scheduled our camping trip, I have to admit I was a bit worried about how my daughter would fare in the evenings around the campfire. So in addition to liberal amounts of bug spray, I was happy to put the Thermacell Mosquito Repellent Lantern to the test to see if it would provide adequate protection for my daughter.
Thermacell makes quite a few different mosquito repellents. We received the Bristol lantern to test out. This model comes with the lantern, 3 mosquito repellent mats, and 1 butane cartridge. The lantern needs 3 AAA batteries, which are not included.
How the Thermacell Mosquito Repellent Lantern works
Benefits of the Thermacell Mosquito Repellent Lantern
- No harsh chemicals sprayed directly on your skin, like topical mosquito repellents.
- The lantern uses allethrin to repel mosquitoes. Allethrin is a synthetic version of the natural repellent found in chrysanthemums.
- Set up is easy. It only takes a few minutes to get the lantern ready to start providing protection.
- The lantern provides odorless protection which is a vast improvement over mosquito repellent candles and citronella torches.
- There is no open flame, so you don’t have to worry about using it around little kids.
- The area of protection is large. One lantern will repel mosquitoes in a 15′ x 15′ space, which is more than adequate for most decks, patios, and campsites.
- It works really well. We used it for several evenings on our camping trip and did not once have problems with mosquitoes. I was impressed!
A couple of things to note:
You can’t use the lantern as your only source of light. Light attracts bugs at night time and this lantern is no exception. We tried to set it on the picnic table one evening and had to move it because we were getting bombarded with insects. The solution? Set it 5 feet away or so from where you are sitting.
If you use this lantern regularly you will have to buy refills for the butane cartridge and the mosquito repellent mats. The lantern comes with one butane cartridge, which will last 12 hours. That will probably get us through the summer. However the mosquito repellent mats don’t last as long – on average only about 4 hours. So if you entertain or camp frequently you will probably want to have some refills on hand.
Other uses for the Thermacell Mosquito Repellent Lantern
In addition to camping, this lantern would be wonderful for any evening outdoor events – like watching the fireworks, attending an outdoor concert, or spending an evening at the lake. It would be also be great for providing protection for your summertime parties that extend in to the evening. It would provide excellent protection for your patio or backyard to keep your guests from getting eaten alive.
You could also use it for protection while you do a little evening gardening. I always liked to garden as the sun was going down and things cooled down a bit, but the mosquitoes made it unbearable. Now I can set the lantern nearby and garden in peace!
Want to try the Thermacell Mosquito Repellent Lantern for yourself?
- Order it from Amazon (some varieties have free Prime shipping)
- Buy it locally. You can check out their store locator to find a store near you. We saw it in Bed, Bath, and Beyond last night while we were there.
I was really glad to have gotten to try the Thermacell mosquito repellent lantern. It definitely made evenings around our campsite a lot more pleasant. We have added it to our camping gear and will be taking it along on any future camping trips to ensure mosquitoes don’t ruin our fun.
A big thank you to Thermacell for sending us a patio shield mosquito protection lantern to try on our recent camping trip. As always, all opinions are my own. No additional compensation was received.